How do I get motor trade insurance with drink drive conviction?

Are you looking for part time motor trade insurance?
Do you have a conviction?

See how avoid convictions and get cheaper policies.

If so, it is still possible to get motor trade insurance at an affordable price.

How do I get motor trade insurance with drink drive conviction?

What is a drink drive conviction [DR10]? 

Drink driving is an offence under section 5(1)(a) of the Road Traffic Act 1988. A DR10 endorsement is a DVLA code which relates to a drink drive conviction. It is a  motoring offence added to your driving record if you have attempted to drive with a blood alcohol level above the legal limit [80 milligrams of alcohol for every 100 milliliters of blood in your body]. The consequences of drink driving include a penalty fine of up to £5000, six months’ imprisonment and disqualification for at least 12 months. 

How do I find out about my endorsement?  

Your driving record can be viewed online []. Through this you can access all the information you need including the date you were convicted of drink drinking and the length of the driving disqualification you received.
Any details of penalty points, offences, disqualifications and convictions that are on your licence will be displayed. It is always wise to think about pay as you go or pay monthly as thsi can really help with cashflow.

Do I need to tell my provider about my conviction? 

A serious motoring offence such as drink driving remains on your driving record for up to 11 years. Legally, you are required to disclose this conviction for 5 years after your date of conviction. After 5 years, the DR10 endorsement will be considered as ‘spent’ under the  Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.

What a ‘spent’ endorsement mean for me? Does it apply if it is a pay monthly or pay as you go policy ?

If the conviction is older than 5 years, you are no longer legally required to declare to the DR10 offence to insurance companies. You can find the exact date the DR10 endorsement will be removed on your online driving record. However, It is recommended that you disclose any drink driving convictions to make sure you are covered by the insurance policy. 

Motor Trade Insurance

Insurance for convicted drivers tend to be significantly more expensive. This may be due to the higher level of risks the conviction represents. Standard insurance may be difficult to obtain but we can provide you with options that are both suitable and affordable for you. 

Insurance options include but are not limited to: 

Third party insurance: This insurance will allow you to drive customer vehicles but you will not be covered for any accidents you are personally liable for. 
Comprehensive insurance: This insurance will provide cover for all circumstances including those accidents you are personally liable for. This will also include coverage in the circumstances of fire and theft. 
An employer could take out specialist protections to protect all aspects of the business including but not limited to:
Public liability insurance: This insurance will provide cover when you are working with the public. 
Employers liability insurance: This insurance will provide cover for various situations including where an employee has been injured on business premises. This is a legal requirement if you are an employer of drivers. 
Combined insurance:  This insurance will cover all aspects of your business from cover for road accidents to cover for stock. This is useful when operating from your business premises. 

How can I reduce my insurance premium after a conviction

If you have received over a 12 month ban as a result of your drink driving offence, the court may provide you with the opportunity to complete a rehabilitation course. By doing this, not only will your driving ban be reduced but in some cases, can reduce your motor trade insurance premiums.This could be a consideration when opting to complete this course. 

What can we do for you? 

We can provide affordable insurance to suit your individual needs be it insurance for under 25s with drink drive convictions or specialist insurance for new starts. 

For specialist advice regarding motor trade insurance with drink drive convictions, please do not hesitate to get in contact with us through email, , or through phone call 0161 5434552.